For purposes of this article:
1. “Bar” means any area, including outdoor seating areas, devoted to the sale and service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and where the service of food is only incidental to the consumption of such beverages.
2. “Employer” means any person, partnership, association, limited liability company, corporation or nonprofit entity which employs one or more persons, including the legislative, executive and judicial branches of state government and any political subdivision of the state.
3. “Food service establishment” means any area, including outdoor seating areas, or portion thereof in which the business is the sale of food for on-premises consumption.
4. “Membership association” means a not-for-profit entity which has been created or organized for a charitable, philanthropic, educational, political, social or other similar purpose.
5. “Place of employment” means any indoor area or portion thereof under the control of an employer in which employees of the employer perform services, and shall include, but not be limited to, offices, school grounds, retail stores, banquet facilities, theaters, food stores, banks, financial institutions, factories, warehouses, employee cafeterias, lounges, auditoriums, gymnasiums, restrooms, elevators, hallways, museums, libraries, bowling establishments, employee medical facilities, rooms or areas containing photocopying equipment or other office equipment used in common, and company vehicles.
6. “School grounds” means any building, structure, and surrounding outdoor grounds contained within a public or private pre-school, nursery school, elementary or secondary school's legally defined property boundaries as registered in a county clerk's office, and any vehicles used to transport children or school personnel.
7. “Retail tobacco business” means a sole proprietorship, limited liability company, corporation, partnership or other enterprise in which the primary activity is the retail sale of tobacco products and accessories, and in which the sale of other products is merely incidental.
8. “Smoking” means the burning of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter or substance which contains tobacco.
9. “Vaping” means the use of an electronic cigarette.
10. “Electronic cigarette” shall have the same meaning as in subdivision thirteen of section thirteen hundred ninety-nine-aa of this chapter.
11. “Retail electronic cigarette store” means a retail store devoted primarily to the sale of electronic cigarettes, and in which the sale of other products is merely incidental. The sale of such other products shall be considered incidental if such sales generate less than twenty-five percent of the total annual gross sales.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.