New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN § 265.45 Safe storage of rifles, shotguns, and firearms

No person who owns or is custodian of a rifle, shotgun or firearm who resides with an individual who such person knows or has reason to know is prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(g) (1), (4), (8) or (9) shall store or otherwise leave such rifle, shotgun or firearm out of his or her immediate possession or control without having first securely locked such rifle, shotgun or firearm in an appropriate safe storage depository or rendered it incapable of being fired by use of a gun locking device appropriate to that weapon.  For purposes of this section “safe storage depository” shall mean a safe or other secure container which, when locked, is incapable of being opened without the key, combination or other unlocking mechanism and is capable of preventing an unauthorized person from obtaining access to and possession of the weapon contained therein.  With respect to a person who is prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to 18 USC § 922(g)(9) , for purposes of this section, this section applies only if such person has been convicted of a crime included in subdivision one of section 370.15 of the criminal procedure law and such gun is possessed within five years from the later of the date of conviction or completion of sentence.  Nothing in this section shall be deemed to affect, impair or supersede any special or local act relating to the safe storage of rifles, shotguns or firearms which impose additional requirements on the owner or custodian of such weapons.

A violation of this section shall constitute a class A misdemeanor.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard