New York Consolidated Laws, General Business Law - GBS § 898. Private sale or disposal of firearms, rifles and shotguns
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search New York Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. In addition to any other requirements pursuant to state and federal law, all sales, exchanges or disposals of firearms, rifles or shotguns shall be conducted in accordance with this section unless such sale, exchange or disposal is conducted by a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer, as those terms are defined in 18 USC § 922, when such sale, exchange or disposal is conducted pursuant to that person's federal firearms license or such sale, exchange or disposal is between members of an immediate family. For purposes of this section, “immediate family” shall mean spouses, domestic partners, children and step-children.
2. Before any sale, exchange or disposal pursuant to this article, a national instant criminal background check must be completed by a dealer who consents to conduct such check, and upon completion of such background check, shall complete a document, the form of which shall be approved by the superintendent of state police, that identifies and confirms that such check was performed.
3. All dealers shall maintain a record of such transactions conducted pursuant to this section and such record shall be maintained on the premises mentioned and described in the license and shall be open at all reasonable hours for inspection by any peace officer, acting pursuant to his or her special duties, or police officer.
4. A dealer may require that any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section be subject to a fee of not to exceed ten dollars per transaction.
5. Any record produced pursuant to this section and any transmission thereof to any government agency shall not be considered a public record for purposes of article six of the public officers law.
6. Any person who knowingly violates the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor punishable as provided for in the penal law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, General Business Law - GBS § 898. Private sale or disposal of firearms, rifles and shotguns - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/general-business-law/gbs-sect-898.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?