New York Consolidated Laws, Education Law - EDN § 2569. Appointment of teachers

a. In a city having a population of one million or more inhabitants, state certification in accordance with the regulations of the commissioner shall be a prerequisite to appointment to any teaching or supervisory position.  The commissioner, after consultation with the chancellor, shall identify in the regulations the state certificates which correspond to licenses utilized by the city school district of the city of New York.  Where the regulations of the commissioner do not identify a corresponding state certificate, the minimum education and experience requirements promulgated by the chancellor in accordance with subdivision two of section twenty-five hundred ninety-j of this chapter shall be a prerequisite to appointment to any teaching position in such license.  In addition, placement upon qualifying eligible lists in accordance with subdivision ten of section twenty-five hundred seventy-three of this article shall be conditional upon satisfactory performance on (i) an interview test administered by the chancellor and (ii) a performance test where required by the chancellor.

b. For purposes of qualifying teachers for service exclusively within a school district wherein instruction is given bi-lingually, all interviews and performance tests provided for by this section shall be given in English and Spanish or any other appropriate second language and the applicant at the time of application shall designate the language of his choice, except that a written composition as determined by the chancellor under the policies of the city board of education shall be given in English.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.