The superintendent of schools of a city school district shall possess, subject to the bylaws of the board of education, the following powers and be charged with the following duties:
1. To be the chief executive officer of the school district and the educational system, and to have a seat on the board of education and the right to speak on all matters before the board, but not to vote.
2. To enforce all provisions of law and all rules and regulations relating to the management of the schools and other educational, social and recreational activities under the direction of the board of education.
3. To prepare the content of each course of study authorized by the board of education. The content of each such course shall be submitted to the board of education for its approval and, when thus approved, the superintendent shall cause such courses of study to be used in the grades, classes and schools for which they are authorized.
4. To recommend suitable lists of textbooks to be used in the schools.
5. To have supervision and direction of associate, assistant and other superintendents, directors, supervisors, principals, teachers, lecturers, medical inspectors, nurses, claims auditors, deputy claims auditors, attendance officers, janitors and other persons employed in the management of the schools or the other educational activities of the district authorized by this chapter and under the direction and management of the board of education; to transfer teachers from one school to another, or from one grade of the course of study to another grade in such course, and to report immediately such transfers to such board for its consideration and action; to report to such board violations of regulations and cases of insubordination, and to suspend an associate, assistant or other superintendent, director, supervisor, expert, principal, teacher or other employee until the next regular meeting of such board, when all facts relating to the case shall be submitted to such board for its consideration and action.
6. To have supervision and direction over the enforcement and observance of the courses of study, the examination and promotion of pupils, and over all other matters pertaining to playgrounds, medical inspection, recreation and social center work, libraries, lectures, and all other educational activities under the management, direction and control of the board of education.
7. Notwithstanding any inconsistent provision of law, the provisions of subdivision five of this section relating to the transfer of teachers may be modified by an agreement that is collectively negotiated pursuant to the provisions of article fourteen of the civil service law.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.