New York Consolidated Laws, Criminal Procedure Law - CPL § 140.55 Arrest without a warrant; by peace officers of other states for offense committed outside state; uniform close pursuit act
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search New York Codes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. As used in this section, the word “state” shall include the District of Columbia.
2. Any peace officer of another state of the United States, who enters this state in close pursuit and continues within this state in such close pursuit of a person in order to arrest him, shall have the same authority to arrest and hold in custody such person on the ground that he has committed a crime in another state which is a crime under the laws of the state of New York, as police officers of this state have to arrest and hold in custody a person on the ground that he has committed a crime in this state.
3. If an arrest is made in this state by an officer of another state in accordance with the provisions of subdivision two, he shall without unnecessary delay take the person arrested before a local criminal court which shall conduct a hearing for the sole purpose of determining if the arrest was in accordance with the provisions of subdivision two, and not of determining the guilt or innocence of the arrested person. If such court determines that the arrest was in accordance with such subdivision, it shall commit the person arrested to the custody of the officer making the arrest, who shall without unnecessary delay take him to the state from which he fled. If such court determines that the arrest was unlawful, it shall discharge the person arrested.
4. This section shall not be construed so as to make unlawful any arrest in this state which would otherwise be lawful.
5. Upon the taking effect of this section 1 it shall be the duty of the secretary of state to certify a copy of this section to the executive department of each of the states of the United States.
6. This section shall apply only to peace officers of a state which by its laws has made similar provision for the arrest and custody of persons closely pursued within the territory thereof.
7. If any part of this section is for any reason declared void, it is declared to be the intent of this section that such invalidity shall not affect the validity of the remaining portions of this section.
8. This section may be cited as the uniform act on close pursuit.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Criminal Procedure Law - CPL § 140.55 Arrest without a warrant; by peace officers of other states for offense committed outside state; uniform close pursuit act - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/criminal-procedure-law/cpl-sect-140-55.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?