New York Consolidated Laws, Banking Law - BNK § 6-j. Proof of insurance

1. No exempt organization, as defined in section five hundred ninety of this chapter, or licensed mortgage banker which originates mortgage loans shall, at the time of title closing for a loan secured by a one to four family residential real property, refuse to accept a binder, issued by an insurer, or a duly authorized representative of an insurer, licensed to do business in this state, as evidence that hazard insurance has been procured for the mortgaged premises.  Nothing herein is intended to prohibit the mortgage banker or exempt organization from requiring the borrower to also furnish a receipt indicating that the annual or installment premium on such insurance policy has been paid.

2. As used in this section, “binder” means a written document (a) which includes the name and address of the insured and any additional named insureds, mortgagees, or lienholders;  a description of the property insured;  a description of the nature and amount of coverage which shall be deemed to include the terms of the standard fire insurance policy except as conspicuously noted on the binder;  the identity of the insurer and of the authorized representative executing the binder;  the effective date of coverage;  the binder number or the policy number where applicable to a policy extension, and (b) which temporarily obligates the insurer to provide that insurance coverage pending issuance of the insurance policy.  The cancellation of such a binder shall be governed at the minimum by the provisions of the standard fire insurance policy and the provisions of the insurance law applicable thereto.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard