Nevada Revised Statutes Title 38. Public Welfare § 432B.510. Execution and contents of petition; representation of interests of public
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Nevada Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. A petition alleging that a child is in need of protection may be signed only by:
(a) A representative of an agency which provides child welfare services;
(b) A law enforcement officer or probation officer; or
(c) The district attorney.
2. The district attorney shall countersign every petition alleging need of protection, and shall represent the interests of the public in all proceedings. If the district attorney fails or refuses to countersign the petition, the petitioner may seek a review by the Attorney General. If the Attorney General determines that a petition should be filed, the Attorney General shall countersign the petition and shall represent the interests of the public in all subsequent proceedings.
3. Every petition must be entitled “In the Matter of _______________, a child,” and must be verified by the person who signs it.
4. Every petition must set forth specifically:
(a) The facts which bring the child within the jurisdiction of the court as indicated in NRS 432B.410.
(b) The name, date of birth and address of the primary residence of the child at the time of removal.
(c) The names and addresses of the residences of the child's parents and any other person responsible for the child's welfare, and spouse if any. If the parents or other person responsible for the welfare of the child do not reside in this State or cannot be found within the State, or if their addresses are unknown, the petition must state the name of any known adult relative residing within the State or, if there is none, the known adult relative residing nearest to the court.
(d) Whether the child is in protective custody and, if so:
(1) The agency responsible for placing the child in protective custody and the reasons therefor; and
(2) Whether the child has been placed in a home or facility in compliance with the provisions of NRS 432B.3905. If the placement does not comply with the provisions of NRS 432B.3905, the petition must include a plan for transferring the child to a placement which complies with the provisions of NRS 432B.3905.
5. When any of the facts required by subsection 4 are not known, the petition must so state.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 38. Public Welfare § 432B.510. Execution and contents of petition; representation of interests of public - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-38-public-welfare/nv-rev-st-432b-510.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?