Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
1. Before a public school, including, without limitation, a charter school and a university school for profoundly gifted pupils, allows a pupil to use any school service or provides a pupil with any technology, the public school must post on the Internet website of the public school information that:
(b) Lists each school service provider for the school;
(c) Confirms that each such school service provider for the school has created a plan for the security of any data concerning pupils, including, without limitation, covered information and personally identifiable information pursuant to NRS 388.293 and informs about the circumstances under which notification will be provided pursuant to that section if a breach of the security of the system data is discovered;
(d) Describes any other actions taken by the public school, the school district or the governing body of the charter school or university school for profoundly gifted pupils, as applicable, to protect the security of any data collected by a school service provider, including, without limitation, covered information and personally identifiable information, concerning pupils; and
(e) Describes the manner in which a pupil or the parent or legal guardian of a pupil may report any suspicious activity relating to the use of a school service by a pupil.
2. At the beginning of each school year, each public school, including, without limitation, a charter school and a university school for profoundly gifted pupils, shall communicate to the pupils enrolled at the school and the parents and legal guardians of such pupils the availability of the information described in subsection 1 and the manner in which to locate the information.
3. As used in this section:
(a) “Covered information” means the personally identifiable information of a pupil or any information that is linked to the personally identifiable information of a pupil which is:
(1) Created by or provided to a school service provider by a pupil or the parent or legal guardian of a pupil through the use of a school service;
(2) Created by or provided to a school service provider by an employee of a public school, a school district or the governing body of a charter school; or
(3) Gathered by a school service provider from any other source and associated with the identity of a pupil.
(b) “Personally identifiable information” has the meaning ascribed to it in 34 C.F.R. § 99.3.
(c) “School service” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 388.283.
(d) “School service provider” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 388.284.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Nevada Revised Statutes Title 34. Education § 388.2955. Duty of public school to provide information concerning school service providers and data security - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nv/title-34-education/nv-rev-st-388-2955.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.