Skip to main content

New Mexico Statutes Chapter 61. Professional and Occupational Licenses § 61-23-22. Engineering;  exemptions

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

A. A New Mexico licensed architect who has complied with all of the laws of New Mexico relating to the practice of architecture has the right to engage in the incidental practice, as defined by regulation, of activities properly classified as engineering;  provided that the architect shall not make any representation as being an engineer or as performing engineering services;  and further provided that the architect shall perform only that part of the work for which the architect is professionally qualified and shall use qualified professional engineers or others for those portions of the work in which the contracting architect is not qualified.  Furthermore, the architect shall assume all responsibility for compliance with all laws, codes, regulations and ordinances of the state or its political subdivisions pertaining to all documents bearing the architect's professional seal.

B. An engineer employed by a business entity who performs only the engineering services involved in the operation of the business entity's business shall be exempt from the provisions of the Engineering and Surveying Practice Act;  provided that neither the employee nor the business entity offers engineering services to the public.  Performance of engineering on public works projects pursuant to Section 61-23-26 NMSA 1978 constitutes engineering services to the public and is not exempt.

Cite this article: - New Mexico Statutes Chapter 61. Professional and Occupational Licenses § 61-23-22. Engineering;  exemptions - last updated May 06, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard