New Mexico Statutes Chapter 59A. Insurance Code § 59A-16-21. Payment of claim by check, draft or electronic transfer;  failure to pay;  interest

A. An insurer shall pay promptly claims arising under its policies with checks or drafts, or, if a claimant requests, may pay by electronic transfer of funds. Without amending other statutes dealing with checks, drafts or electronic transfer of funds, a resident of New Mexico is granted a cause of action for ten percent of the amount of any check, draft or electronic transfer of funds that is not paid or lawfully rejected within ten days of forwarding by a New Mexico financial institution, but in no case to be less than five hundred dollars ($500) plus costs of suit and attorney fees.  The insurer shall not be required to pay such civil damages for delay if it proves that the delay in processing and payment was caused by a financial institution or postal or delivery service and the check, draft or electronic transfer of funds was paid or lawfully rejected within forty-eight hours of actual receipt of the draft, check or electronic transfer of funds by the person on whom drawn.

B. Notwithstanding any provision of the Insurance Code, any insurer issuing any policy, certificate or contract of insurance, surety, guaranty or indemnity of any kind or nature that fails for a period of forty-five days, after required proof of loss has been furnished, to pay to the person entitled the amount justly due shall be liable for the amount due and unpaid with interest on that amount at the rate of one and one-half times the prime lending rate, as determined by the superintendent, for New Mexico banks per year during the period the claim is unpaid.

C. Subsection B of this section shall not apply to any claims in arbitration or litigation.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.