Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
A. It is unlawful for an affiliate of a bank or for an officer, director or employee of a bank, or affiliate of a bank:
(1) to solicit, accept or agree to accept, directly or indirectly, from any person other than the institution any gratuity, compensation or other personal benefit for any action taken by the institution or for endeavoring to procure any such action;
(2) to have any interest, direct or indirect, in the purchase at less than its face value of any evidence of indebtedness issued by the institution;
(3) to require any borrower to purchase insurance from an affiliate of a bank, or from an officer, director or employee of a bank or affiliate of a bank, or through a particular insurance company, agent, solicitor or broker, as a condition precedent to the making of a loan or to decline adequate existing insurance where such existing insurance is provided by an insurance company licensed by this state. Provided, however, a bank may require a borrower to supply such insurance as may reasonably be necessary for the protection of the bank in making a loan.
B. In this section the term “affiliate” includes:
(1) any person who holds a majority of the stock of a bank or has been determined by the commissioner [director of the financial institutions division of the regulation and licensing department] to hold a controlling interest therein, any other corporation in which such person owns a majority of the stock and any partnership in which he has an interest;
(2) any corporation in which the institution or an officer, director or employee thereof holds a majority of the stock and any partnership in which such person has an interest;
(3) any corporation of which a majority of the directors are officers, directors or employees of the institution or of which officers, directors, trustees or employees constitute a majority of the directors of the institution.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Mexico Statutes Chapter 58. Financial Institutions and Regulations § 58-1-79. Unlawful gratuity or compensation; transactions of persons connected with state bank - last updated May 06, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nm/chapter-58-financial-institutions-and-regulations/nm-st-sect-58-1-79.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?