New Mexico Statutes Chapter 53. Corporations § 53-11-6. Defense of ultra vires

No act of a corporation and no conveyance or transfer of real or personal property to or by a corporation is invalid because the corporation was without capacity or power to do such act or to make or receive such conveyance or transfer, but such lack of capacity or power may be asserted:

A. in a proceeding by a shareholder against the corporation to enjoin the doing of any act or acts or the transfer of real or personal property by or to the corporation.  If the unauthorized acts or transfer sought to be enjoined are being, or are to be, performed or made pursuant to any contract to which the corporation is a party, the court may, if all of the parties to the contract are parties to the proceeding and if it deems the same to be equitable, set aside and enjoin the performance of the contract, and in so doing may allow to the corporation or to the other parties to the contract, as the case may be, compensation for the loss or damage sustained by either of them which may result from the action of the court in setting aside and enjoining the performance of the contract, but anticipated profits to be derived from the performance of the contract shall not be awarded by the court as a loss or damage sustained;

B. in a proceeding by the corporation, whether acting directly or through a receiver, trustee or other legal representative, or through shareholders in a representative suit, against the incumbent or former officers or directors of the corporation;  or

C. in a proceeding by the attorney general, as provided in the Business Corporation Act, to dissolve the corporation, or in a proceeding by the attorney general to enjoin the corporation from the transaction of unauthorized business.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.