New Jersey Statutes Title 39. Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation 39 § 4-10.2

a. A person who violates a requirement of this act shall be warned of the violation by the enforcing official.  The parent or legal guardian of that person also may be fined a maximum of $25 for the person's first offense and a maximum of $100 for a subsequent offense if it can be shown that the parent or guardian failed to exercise reasonable supervision or control over the person's conduct.  Penalties provided in this section for a failure to wear a helmet may be waived if an offender or his parent or legal guardian presents suitable proof that an approved helmet was owned at the time of the violation or has been purchased since the violation occurred.

b. All money collected as fines under subsection a. of this section and subsection a. of section 2 of P.L.1997, c. 411 ( C. 39:4-10.6 ) shall be deposited in a nonlapsing revolving fund to be known as the “Bicycle and Skating Safety Fund.”  Interest earned on money deposited in the fund shall accrue to the fund.  Money in the fund shall be utilized by the director to provide educational programs devoted to bicycle, roller skating and skateboarding safety.  If the director determines that sufficient money is available in the fund, he also may use, in a manner prescribed by rule and regulation, the money to assist low income families in purchasing approved bicycle helmets.  For the purposes of this subsection, “low income family” means a family which qualifies for low income housing under the standards promulgated by the Council on Affordable Housing pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1985, c. 222 ( C.52:27D-301 et seq. ).

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard