Skip to main content

New Jersey Statutes Title 37. Marriages and Married Persons 37 § 1-17.3

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

A member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard who is stationed overseas and serving in a conflict or a war and is unable to appear for the licensure and solemnization of his marriage or civil union may enter into that marriage or civil union by the appearance of an attorney-in-fact, commissioned and empowered in writing for that purpose through a power of attorney.  The attorney-in-fact must personally appear before the licensing officer with the person who is not serving overseas, and present the original power of attorney duly signed by the party stationed overseas and acknowledged by a notary or witnessed by two officers of the United States Armed Forces or the National Guard.  The power of attorney shall state the legal names of the parties to be married or enter into a civil union, and shall state that the power of attorney is solely for the purpose of authorizing the attorney-in-fact to obtain a marriage or civil union license on the person's behalf and to participate in the solemnization of the marriage or civil union.  The original power of attorney shall be a part of the marriage or civil union certificate upon registration.

Cite this article: - New Jersey Statutes Title 37. Marriages and Married Persons 37 § 1-17.3 - last updated February 19, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard