Skip to main content

New Jersey Statutes Title 30. Institutions and Agencies 30 § 4-123.55d

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

<Section effective on Feb. 1, 2021.>

a. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection a. of section 9 of P.L.1979, c. 441 (C.30:4-123.53), an adult inmate shall be administratively released on parole at the time of primary or subsequent parole eligibility provided that:

(1) the inmate has not been previously convicted of, adjudicated delinquent for, or is currently serving a sentence imposed for any crime enumerated in subsection d. of section 2 of P.L.1997, c. 117 (C.2C:43-7.2);  subsection c. or g. of N.J.S.2C:43-6;  subsection b. of section 2 of P.L.1994, c. 133 (C.2C:7-2);  or section 3 of P.L.1998, c. 71 (C.30:4-27.26);

(2) the inmate has not committed any prohibited acts required to be reported to the prosecutor pursuant to regulations promulgated by the commissioner during the current period of incarceration, and has not committed any serious disciplinary infraction, designated in regulations promulgated by the commissioner as a prohibited act that is considered to be the most serious and results in the most severe sanctions, within the previous two years;

(3) the inmate has completed relevant rehabilitation programs, as determined by the Department of Corrections and State Parole Board, available at the correctional facility or applied for but was unable to complete or was denied access to these programs due to circumstances beyond the inmate's control including, but not limited to, capacity limitations or exclusionary policies of these programs;  and

(4) crime victims have received notification as required by law.

b. In the case of an inmate who meets the criteria set forth in this section for administrative parole release, a hearing shall not be required pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1979, c. 441 (C.30:4-123.55).  An inmate released on parole pursuant to subsection a. of this section shall, during the term of parole supervision, remain in the legal custody of the Commissioner of Corrections, be supervised by the Division of Parole of the State Parole Board, and be subject to the provisions and conditions established by the appropriate board panel in accordance with the procedures and standards set forth in section 15 of P.L.1979, c. 441 (C.30:4-123.59).  If the parolee violates a condition of parole, the parolee shall be subject to the provisions of sections 16 through 19 of P.L.1979, c. 441 (C.30:4-123.60 through C.30:4-123.63) and may have his parole revoked and be returned to custody.  If revocation and return to custody are deemed appropriate, the appropriate board panel shall revoke the parolee's release and return the parolee to custody and confinement pursuant to the provisions of section 3 of P.L.1997, c. 117 (C.30:4-123.51b).

c. Denials of administrative parole release shall be appealable in accordance with section 14 of P.L.1979, c. 441 (C.30:4-123.58).

d. A criminal justice program at a four-year public institution of higher education in this State shall conduct a study of all inmates whose primary parole eligibility date was within the five years immediately preceding the implementation of P.L.2019, c. 364 (C.30:4-123.55b et al.) and the five years immediately following the implementation of P.L.2019, c. 364 (C.30:4-123.55b et al.).  The study shall include, but not be limited to, the number of inmates who met the criteria set forth in subsection a. of this section, the number of inmates who did not meet the criteria, and the reasons an inmate did not meet the criteria.

Cite this article: - New Jersey Statutes Title 30. Institutions and Agencies 30 § 4-123.55d - last updated February 19, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard