New Jersey Statutes Title 2C. The New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice 2C § 64-3

Forfeiture procedures. a. Whenever any property other than prima facie contraband is subject to forfeiture under this chapter, such forfeiture may be enforced by a civil action, instituted within 90 days of the seizure and commenced by the State and against the property sought to be forfeited.

b. The complaint shall be verified on oath or affirmation.  It shall describe with reasonable particularity the property that is the subject matter of the action and shall contain allegations setting forth the reason or reasons the article sought to be or which has been seized is contraband.

c. Notice of the action shall be given to any person known to have a property interest in the article.  In addition, the notice requirements of the Rules of Court for an in rem action shall be followed.

d. The claimant of the property that is the subject of an action under this chapter shall file and serve his claim in the form of an answer in accordance with the Rules of Court.  The answer shall be verified on oath or affirmation, and shall state the interest in the property by virtue of which the claimant demands its restitution and the right to defend the action.  If the claim is made in behalf of the person entitled to possession by an agent, bailee or attorney, it shall state that he is duly authorized to make the claim.

e. If no answer is filed and served within the applicable time, the property seized shall be disposed of pursuant to N.J.S.2C:64-6 .

f. If an answer is filed, the Superior or county district court shall set the matter down for a summary hearing as soon as practicable.  Upon application of the State or claimant, if he be a defendant in a criminal proceeding arising out of the seizure, the Superior or county district court may stay proceedings in the forfeiture action until the criminal proceedings have been concluded by an entry of final judgment.

g. Any person with a property interest in the seized property, other than a defendant who is being prosecuted in connection with the seizure of property may secure its release pending the forfeiture action unless the article is dangerous to the public health, safety and welfare or the State can demonstrate that the property will probably be lost or destroyed if released or employed in subsequent criminal activity.  Any person with such a property interest other than a defendant who is being prosecuted, prior to the release of said property shall post a bond with the court in the amount of the market value of the seized item.

h. The prosecuting agency with approval of the entity funding such agency, or any other entity, with the approval of the prosecuting agency, where the other entity's law enforcement agency participated in the surveillance, investigation or arrest which is the subject of the forfeiture action, may apply to the Superior Court for an order permitting use of seized property, pending the disposition of the forfeiture action provided, however, that such property shall be used solely for law enforcement purposes.  Approval shall be liberally granted but shall be conditioned upon the filing of a bond in an amount equal to the market value of the item seized or a written guarantee of payment for property which may be subject to return, replacement or compensation as to reasonable value in the event that the forfeiture is refused or only partial extinguishment of property rights is ordered by the court.

i. If the property is of such nature that substantial difficulty may result in preserving its value during the pendency of the forfeiture action, the Superior or county district court may appoint a trustee to protect the interests of all parties involved in the action.

j. Evidence of a conviction of a criminal offense in which seized property was either used or provided an integral part of the State's proofs in the prosecution shall be considered in the forfeiture proceeding as creating a rebuttable presumption that the property was utilized in furtherance of an unlawful activity.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.