a. A person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person's control commits a disorderly persons offense if a minor gains access to the firearm, unless the person:
(1) Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container;
(2) Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or
(3) Secures the firearm with a trigger lock.
b. This section shall not apply:
(1) To activities authorized by section 14 of P.L.1979, c. 179, ( C.2C:58-6.1 ), concerning the lawful use of a firearm by a minor; or
(2) Under circumstances where a minor obtained a firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.
c. As used in this act, “minor” means a person under the age of 16.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.