a. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the person:
(1) knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates, in whole or in part, the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of a female under 18 years of age;
(2) is a parent, guardian, or has immediate custody or control of a female under 18 years of age and knowingly consents to, or permits the circumcision, excision, or infibulation, in whole or in part of, the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of a female under 18 years of age; or
(3) knowingly removes or permits the removal of a female under 18 years of age from the State for the purpose of circumcising, excising, or infibulating, in whole or in part, the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of the female under 18 years of age.
b. The provisions of subsection a. of this section shall not apply if the circumcision, excision, or infibulation is:
(1) necessary to the health of the female on whom it is performed and it is performed by a licensed health care professional acting within the scope of the professional's license; or
(2) performed on a female in labor or who has just given birth and is performed for medical purposes connected with that labor or birth by a licensed health care professional acting within the scope of the professional's license or by a person in training to become such a licensed health care professional.
c. It shall not be a defense to a prosecution under this section that:
(1) the person engaging in the conduct prohibited by subsection a. of this section believed that the procedure was necessary or appropriate as a matter of custom, ritual, or standard practice; or
(2) the female on whom the circumcision, excision, or infibulation was performed, or the female's parent, guardian, or person who had immediate custody or control over the female, consented to the procedure.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New Jersey Statutes Title 2C. The New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice 2C § 24-10 - last updated February 19, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/nj-st-sect-2c-24-10.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.