New Jersey Statutes Title 2A. Administration of Civil and Criminal Justice 2A § 17-56.9a

At least once every three years, unless the State has developed an automated cost-of-living adjustment program for child support payments, the parties subject to a Title IV-D support order shall be provided notice of their right to request a review, which shall be conducted in accordance with the rules promulgated by the State IV-D agency in consultation with the Supreme Court.  Such review shall take into account any changes in the financial situation or related circumstances of both parties and whether the order of child support is in full compliance with the child support guidelines.

Upon completing the review and if a change in the amount of child support is recommended, the State IV-D agency or designee shall so notify the obligor and obligee in writing of the child support amount that is recommended.  The obligor and obligee shall be afforded not less than 30 days after such notification to file with the State IV-D agency and the court a challenge to such proposed adjustment or determination.  If proof exists that the obligor and obligee have been provided with at least 30-days’ notice of the proposed adjustment, the court shall adjust the child support amount as proposed by the department if either party does not challenge the recommended award within the prescribed time or fails to show good cause why the adjustment should not occur.

In accordance with section 351 of Pub.L.104-193 , a proof or showing of a change in circumstances shall not be required prior to initiation of a review or for the adjustment of an order under the three-year review process;  however, a proof or showing of a substantial change in circumstances shall be required prior to the initiation of a review or for the adjustment of an order outside the three-year review process.

1 42 U.S.C.A. § 666.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.