Nebraska Revised Statutes Chapter 76. Real Property § 76-1416. Security deposits; prepaid rent
Search Nebraska Revised Statutes
(1) A landlord may not demand or receive security, however denominated, in an amount or value in excess of one month's periodic rent, except that a pet deposit not in excess of one-fourth of one month's periodic rent may be demanded or received when appropriate, but this subsection shall not be applicable to housing agencies organized or existing under the Nebraska Housing Agency Act.
(2) Upon termination of the tenancy, property or money held by the landlord as prepaid rent and security may be applied to the payment of rent and the amount of damages which the landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant's noncompliance with the rental agreement or section 76-1421 . The balance, if any, and a written itemization shall be delivered or mailed to the tenant within fourteen days after demand and designation of the location where payment may be made or mailed.
(3) If the landlord fails to comply with subsection (2) of this section, the tenant may recover the property and money due him or her and reasonable attorney's fees.
(4) This section does not preclude the landlord or tenant from recovering other damages to which he or she may be entitled under the Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act.
(5) The holder of the landlord's interest in the premises at the time of the termination of the tenancy is bound by this section.
Read this complete Nebraska Revised Statutes Chapter 76. Real Property § 76-1416. Security deposits; prepaid rent on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.