Watercourses, ditches, drains, and improvements thereto for the drainage of sloughs
and other lowlands may be surveyed and investigated and established, constructed,
maintained, repaired, improved, and cleaned out in the several counties of this state
under the provisions of this chapter wherever the same shall be conducive to the public
health, convenience, or welfare. The powers conferred by this chapter and this section shall extend to and include:
1. The deepening and widening or any necessary improvement of drains which have been
or hereafter may be constructed.
2. The straightening, clearing, or cleaning out and deepening of channels of creeks,
streams, and rivers, and the construction, maintenance, remodeling, repairing, and
extension of levees, dikes, and barriers for the purpose of drainage.
3. The location or extension of any drain if such location or extension is necessary
to provide a suitable outlet or reasonably drain lands within a practical drainage
area of such drains.
4. The establishment, in whole or in part, of a drain and the completion of the same
on the line of an abandoned or invalid drain.
5. The establishment and construction of lateral drains with outlets in drains already
6. The installation of artificial subsurface drainage systems.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.