North Dakota Century Code Title 57. Taxation § 57-40.5-03. Exemptions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Dakota Century Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
There are specifically exempted from the provisions of this chapter and from computation of the amount of tax imposed by it, the following:
1. Aircraft acquired by disabled veterans as defined by the provisions of Public Law No. 79-663 [38 U.S.C. 1901]. This exemption shall be allowed only with respect to one aircraft owned by any disabled veteran.
2. Any aircraft owned by or in possession of the federal or state government or any of the political subdivisions, departments, agencies, or institutions thereof.
3. Aircraft which were previously titled or registered in the names of two or more joint tenants and subsequently transferred without monetary consideration to one or more of the joint tenants; the transfer of aircraft by gift, inheritance, or devise between a husband and wife, parent and child, or brothers and sisters; and the transfer of aircraft to reflect a new name of the owner caused by a business reorganization, if the ownership of the business organization remains in the same person or persons as prior to the reorganization.
4. Aircraft transferred between a lessee and lessor, if the lessee has been in continuous possession of the aircraft for a period of one year or longer, and if the lessor has paid either the tax imposed under this chapter at the time of registering the aircraft in this state or the use tax imposed by chapter 57-40.2.
5. Aircraft acquired by any parochial or private nonprofit school. To qualify, a school must normally maintain a regular faculty and curriculum and must have a regularly organized body of students in attendance. The aircraft is not to be used for commercial activities.
6. Aircraft for use as an air ambulance, when purchased by the operator of an emergency medical services operation licensed under chapter 23-27.
7. Aircraft acquired by an aviation museum located in this state that is exempt from federal income taxation under section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code [26 U.S.C. 501(c)(3)]. For purposes of this subsection, the term “acquired” has the meaning as provided in section 57-40.5-01. Any aviation museum acquiring an aircraft under this subsection shall comply with sections 57-40.5-04 and 57-40.5-05. The aircraft may not be used for commercial activities. For purposes of this subsection, commercial activities do not include activities for which a fee is charged when the proceeds are used for the benefit of the aviation museum.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Dakota Century Code Title 57. Taxation § 57-40.5-03. Exemptions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nd/title-57-taxation/nd-cent-code-sect-57-40-5-03.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?