North Dakota Century Code Title 57. Taxation § 57-36-25. Cigars and pipe tobacco--Excise tax on wholesale purchase price--Other tobacco products--Excise tax on weight--Penalty--Reports--Collection--Allocation of revenue
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Dakota Century Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
1. There is hereby levied and assessed upon all cigars and pipe tobacco sold in this state an excise tax at the rate of twenty-eight percent of the wholesale purchase price at which such cigars and pipe tobacco are purchased by distributors. For the purposes of this section, the term “wholesale purchase price” shall mean the established price for which a manufacturer sells cigars or pipe tobacco to a distributor exclusive of any discount or other reduction.
2. There is levied and assessed upon all other tobacco products sold in this state an excise tax at the following rates:
a. Upon each can or package of snuff, sixty cents per ounce and a proportionate tax at the like rate on all fractional parts of an ounce.
b. On chewing tobacco, sixteen cents per ounce and a proportionate tax at the like rate on all fractional parts of an ounce.
For purposes of this subsection, the tax on other tobacco products is computed based on the net weight as listed by the manufacturer.
3. The proceeds of the taxes imposed under this section, together with such forms of return and in accordance with such rules and regulations as the tax commissioner may prescribe, shall be remitted to the tax commissioner by the distributor on a calendar quarterly basis on or before the fifteenth day of the month following the quarterly period for which paid. The tax commissioner shall, however, have authority to prescribe monthly returns upon the request of the licensee distributor and such returns accompanied with remittance shall be filed before the fifteenth day of the month following the month for which the returns are filed.
4. Any person failing to file any prescribed form or return or to pay any tax within the time required or permitted by this section is subject to a penalty of five percent of the amount of tax due or five dollars, whichever is greater, plus interest of one percent of the tax per month or fraction of a month of delay except the first month after the return or the tax became due. The tax commissioner, if satisfied that the delay was excusable, may waive all or any part of the penalty. The penalty must be paid to the tax commissioner and disposed of in the same manner as are other receipts under this chapter.
5. All moneys received by the tax commissioner under the provisions of this section shall be transmitted to the state treasurer at the end of each month and deposited in the state treasury to the credit of the general fund.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Dakota Century Code Title 57. Taxation § 57-36-25. Cigars and pipe tobacco--Excise tax on wholesale purchase price--Other tobacco products--Excise tax on weight--Penalty--Reports--Collection--Allocation of revenue - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nd/title-57-taxation/nd-cent-code-sect-57-36-25.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?