Skip to main content

North Dakota Century Code Title 43. Occupations and Professions § 43-07-04. License--How obtained--Failure to grant--Revocation for not in good standing

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

1. To obtain a license under this chapter, an applicant who is eighteen years of age or older shall submit, on forms the registrar prescribes, an application under oath containing a statement of the applicant's experience and qualifications as a contractor.  A copy of a certificate of liability insurance must be filed with the application and the contractor shall submit a statement from North Dakota workforce safety and insurance that the contractor has secured workforce safety and insurance coverage satisfactory to workforce safety and insurance.  If the registrar deems it appropriate or necessary, the registrar may also require any other information to assist the registrar in determining the applicant's eligibility to act in the capacity of a contractor, including, at the expense of the applicant, criminal history record information of the applicant or the officers, members, or partners of the applicant which is held or maintained by the bureau of criminal investigation or a similar entity in another state.  The application must contain a statement that the applicant desires the issuance of a license under this chapter and must specify the class of license sought.

2. The registrar may refuse to grant a license if the registrar determines the application contains incomplete information, or the applicant fails or refuses to authorize or pay for criminal history information requested by the registrar.  The registrar shall notify the applicant in writing if the registrar does not grant the license and shall provide the applicant an opportunity to respond to or cure the defect in the application for a period of ten days from the date of the written notification.  An applicant aggrieved by a decision of the registrar not to grant the license may appeal the decision to the district court of the applicant's county of residence or Burleigh County.

3. No sooner than twenty days after sending written notice to a contractor at the contractor's last-known address, the registrar shall classify as not in good standing the license of any contractor who fails to:

a. Maintain liability insurance coverage required by this section or by section 43-07-10;

b. File, renew, or properly amend any fictitious name certificate required by chapter 45-11;

c. Maintain an active status of a corporation or registration as a foreign corporation;

d. Maintain an active status of a limited liability company or registration as a foreign limited liability company;

e. File or renew a trade name registration as required by chapter 47-25;

f. Maintain a limited liability partnership registration or foreign limited liability partnership registration as required by chapter 45-22;  or

g. Maintain a limited partnership certificate of limited partnership or foreign limited partnership certificate of authority.

4. Any contractor who has been notified by the registrar that the contractor's license is not in good standing shall cease soliciting or entering new contract projects.  If the contractor fails to correct the deficiency specified in the notice by evidence satisfactory to the registrar within thirty days of the date of the notice or if the contractor solicits or enters new contract projects while the contractor's license is not in good standing, the registrar shall use the procedures of chapter 28-32 to revoke the license of the contractor.

Cite this article: - North Dakota Century Code Title 43. Occupations and Professions § 43-07-04. License--How obtained--Failure to grant--Revocation for not in good standing - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard