1. An individual residing in this state or a domestic or foreign corporation or limited liability company may become listed as a commercial registered agent by filing with the secretary of state a commercial registered agent listing statement signed by or on behalf of the person which states:
a. The name of the individual or the name, type, and jurisdiction of organization of the entity;
b. That the person is in the business of serving as a commercial registered agent in this state; and
c. The address of a place of business of the person in this state to which service of process and other notice and documents being served on or sent to entities represented by it may be delivered.
2. An individual residing in this state or a domestic or foreign corporation or limited liability company may file additional listings as a commercial registered agent if filed with trade names registered under chapter 47-25. The filing must be in the same manner as provided in subsection 1 and disclose the trade name being used. A listing with a trade name may provide an alternate address of a place of business of the person in this state to which service of process and other notice and documents being served on or sent to entities represented by it may be delivered.
3. If the name of a person filing a commercial registered agent listing statement is not distinguishable on the records of the secretary of state from the name of another commercial registered agent listed under this section, the person must adopt and register a trade name that is so distinguishable and use that name in its statement and when it does business in this state as a commercial registered agent.
4. A commercial registered agent listing statement takes effect on filing.
5. The secretary of state shall note the filing of the commercial registered agent listing statement in the record of the represented entity and in the index of filings maintained by the secretary of state for each entity represented by the registered agent at the time of the filing. The statement has the effect of deleting the address of the registered agent from the registered agent filing of each of those entities.
6. The secretary of state may make minor modifications to the name of a registered agent in a previously filed record in order to cause the modified name to be consistent with the correct name of a proposed commercial registered agent when it can be concluded from the previously filed record that the name of the proposed commercial registered agent was intended.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.