North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 90D. Interpreters and Transliterators § 90D-4. License required; exemptions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Except as provided in Chapter 8B of the General Statutes, no person shall practice or offer to practice as an interpreter or transliterator for a fee or other consideration, represent himself or herself as a licensed interpreter or transliterator, or use the title “Licensed Interpreter for the Deaf”, “Licensed Transliterator for the Deaf”, or any other title or abbreviation to indicate that the person is a licensed interpreter or transliterator unless that person is currently licensed under this Chapter.
(b) The provisions of this Chapter do not apply to:
(1) Persons providing interpreting or transliterating services in religious proceedings.
(2) Persons providing interpreting or transliterating services in mentoring or training programs approved by the Board.
(3) An intern under the supervision of a person licensed under this Chapter to provide interpreting or transliterating services.
(4) Persons providing interpreting or transliterating services in an emergency situation until a licensed interpreter or transliterator can be obtained. An emergency situation is one where the deaf or hard-of-hearing person is in substantial danger of death or irreparable harm if interpreting or transliterating services are not provided immediately.
(5) Educational interpreters or transliterators.
(6) Nonresident persons who are nationally certified providing interpreting or transliterating services in this State no more than 20 days per year in accordance with rules adopted by the Board.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 90D. Interpreters and Transliterators § 90D-4. License required; exemptions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-90d-interpreters-and-transliterators/nc-gen-st-sect-90d-4.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?