The following definitions apply in this Chapter:
(1) Board.--The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board.
(2) Repealed by S.L. 2013-410, § 8, eff. Aug. 23, 2013 .
(3) Certified Master Social Worker.--A person who is certified under this Chapter to practice social work as a master social worker and is engaged in the practice of social work.
(4) Certified Social Work Manager.--A person who is certified under this Chapter to practice social work as a social work manager and is engaged in the practice of social work.
(5) Certified Social Worker.--A person who is certified under this Chapter to practice social work as a social worker and is engaged in the practice of social work.
(6) Clinical Social Work Practice.--The professional application of social work theory and methods to the biopsychosocial diagnosis, treatment, or prevention, of emotional and mental disorders. Practice includes, by whatever means of communications, the treatment of individuals, couples, families, and groups, including the use of psychotherapy and referrals to and collaboration with other health professionals when appropriate. Clinical social work practice shall not include the provision of supportive daily living services to persons with severe and persistent mental illness as defined in G.S. 122C-3(33a) .
(6a) Licensed Clinical Social Worker.--A person who is competent to function independently, who holds himself or herself out to the public as a social worker, and who offers or provides clinical social work services or supervises others engaging in clinical social work practice.
(6b) Licensed Clinical Social Worker Associate.--A person issued an associate license to provide clinical social work services pursuant to G.S. 90B-7(f) .
(7) Practice of Social Work.--To perform or offer to perform services, by whatever means of communications, for other people that involve the application of social work values, principles, and techniques in areas such as social work services, consultation and administration, and social work planning and research.
(8) Social Worker.--A person certified, licensed, or associate licensed by this Chapter or otherwise exempt under G.S. 90B-10 .
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 90B. Social Worker Certification and Licensure Act § 90B-3. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-90b-social-worker-certification-and-licensure-act/nc-gen-st-sect-90b-3.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.