North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 89E. Geologists Licensing Act § 89E-3. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
When used in this Chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Board” means the North Carolina Board for Licensing of Geologists.
(2) “Geologist”. The term “geologist”, within the intent of this Chapter, shall mean a person who is trained and educated in the science of geology.
(3) The term “geologist-in-training” means a person who has taken and successfully passed the portion of professional examination covering fundamental or academic geologic subjects, prior to his completion of the requisite years of experience in geologic work as provided for in this Chapter.
(4) “Geology” means the science dealing with the earth and its history; investigation, prediction and location of the materials and structures which compose it; the natural processes that cause change in the earth; and the applied science of utilizing knowledge of the earth and its constituent rocks, minerals, liquids, gases and other materials for the benefit of mankind. This definition shall not include any of the following:
a. Service or creative works, the adequate performance of which requires engineering education, training, and experience.
b. The assessment of an underground storage tank required by applicable rules at closure or change in service unless there has been a discharge or release of the product from the tank.
(5) The term “good moral character” means such character as tends to ensure the faithful discharge of the fiduciary duties of the licensed geologist to his client.
(6) “License” means a certificate issued by the Board recognizing the individual named in this certificate as meeting the requirements for licensing under this Chapter.
(7) “Licensed geologist” means a person who is licensed as a geologist under the provisions of this Chapter.
(8) “Public practice of geology” means the performance for others of geological service or work in the nature of work or consultation, investigation, surveys, evaluations, planning, mapping and inspection of geological work, in which the performance is related to the public welfare of safeguarding of life, health, property and the environment, except as specifically exempted by this Chapter. The definition shall not include or allow the practice of engineering as defined in Chapter 89C of the North Carolina General Statutes.
(9) The term “qualified geologist” means a person who possesses all of the qualifications specified in this Chapter for licensing except that he or she is not licensed.
(10) The term “responsible charge of work” means the independent control and direction by the use of initiative, skill and independent judgment of geological work or the supervision of such work.
(11) The term “subordinate” means any person who assists a licensed geologist in the practice of geology without assuming the responsible charge of work.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 89E. Geologists Licensing Act § 89E-3. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-89e-geologists-licensing-act/nc-gen-st-sect-89e-3.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?