(a) Except as otherwise provided in this Chapter, no person shall engage in the practice of landscape construction or contracting, use the designation “landscape contractor,” or advertise using any title or description that implies licensure as a landscape contractor unless the person is licensed as a landscape contractor as provided by this Chapter. All landscape construction or contracting performed by a partnership, association, corporation, firm, or other group shall be performed under an individual who is readily available to exercise supervision over the landscape construction and contracting work and who is licensed by the Board under this Chapter.
(b) Nothing in this Chapter shall be construed to authorize a landscape contractor to engage in any of the following:
(1) The practice of landscape architecture, as defined in G.S. 89A-1 .
(2) The practice of engineering, as defined in G.S. 89C-3 .
(3) Practice as a well contractor certified under Article 7A of Chapter 87 of the General Statutes.
(4) The practice of irrigation contracting, as defined in G.S. 89G-1 .
(5) The practice of architecture, as defined in G.S. 83A-1 .
(6) The practice of plumbing, heating group number one, heating group number two, heating group number three, fire sprinkler, or fuel piping contracting, as defined in G.S. 87-21 , provided the landscaping contractor may install piping, fittings, valves, and associated components for the purpose of landscape contracting that is downstream of a potable water source, groundwater source, or grey water source, and downstream of a backflow prevention assembly.
(7) The practice of electrical contracting, as defined in G.S. 87-43 .
(c) A landscape contractor licensed under this Chapter is not required to be licensed as a general contractor under Article 1 of Chapter 87 of the General Statutes if the licensed landscape contractor is performing landscape construction or contracting work valued at an amount greater than thirty thousand dollars ($30,000).
(d) Upon licensure by the Board, each landscape contractor shall obtain a seal of the design authorized by the Board and bearing the name of the licensee, the number of the license, and the legend “N.C. Licensed Landscape Contractor.” A landscape contractor may use the seal only while the license is valid.
(e) Every landscape contractor issued a license under this Chapter shall display the license conspicuously in the landscape contractor's place of business. Every landscape contractor shall display the license number issued to the contractor by the Board on all business cards, contracts, and vehicles used by the contractor in the landscape contracting business.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.