North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 7B. Juvenile Code § 7B-301. Duty to report abuse, neglect, dependency, or death due to maltreatment

(a) Any person or institution who has cause to suspect that any juvenile is abused, neglected, or dependent, as defined by G.S. 7B-101 , or has died as the result of maltreatment, shall report the case of that juvenile to the director of the department of social services in the county where the juvenile resides or is found.  The report may be made orally, by telephone, or in writing.  The report shall include information as is known to the person making it including the name and address of the juvenile;  the name and address of the juvenile's parent, guardian, or caretaker;  the age of the juvenile;  the names and ages of other juveniles in the home;  the present whereabouts of the juvenile if not at the home address;  the nature and extent of any injury or condition resulting from abuse, neglect, or dependency;  and any other information which the person making the report believes might be helpful in establishing the need for protective services or court intervention.  If the report is made orally or by telephone, the person making the report shall give the person's name, address, and telephone number.  Refusal of the person making the report to give a name shall not preclude the department's assessment of the alleged abuse, neglect, dependency, or death as a result of maltreatment.

(b) Any person or institution who knowingly or wantonly fails to report the case of a juvenile as required by subsection (a) of this section, or who knowingly or wantonly prevents another person from making a report as required by subsection (a) of this section, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard