North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 75B. Discrimination in Business § 75B-1. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
The following words and phrases as used in this Chapter shall have the following meaning unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) “Business,” the manufacture, processing, sale, purchase, licensing, distribution, provision, or advertising of goods or services, or extension of credit, or issuance of letters of credit, or any other aspect of business;
(2) “Foreign government,” all governments and political subdivisions and the instrumentalities thereof, excepting the government, political subdivisions, and instrumentalities of the United States and the states, commonwealths, territories and possessions of the United States, and the District of Columbia;
(3) “Foreign person,” any person whose principal place of residence, business or domicile is outside the United States, or any person controlled directly or indirectly by such person or persons; provided, however, that no person shall be deemed a foreign person if after reasonable inquiry and due diligence it cannot be determined that any such person has a principal place of residence, business, or domicile outside the United States or is controlled by such person;
(4) “Foreign trade relationships,” the dealing with or in any foreign country of any person, or being listed on a boycott list or compilation of unacceptable persons maintained by a foreign government, foreign person, or international organization;
(5) “International organization,” any association or organization, with the exception of labor associations, or organizations of which more than a majority of the membership consists of foreign persons or foreign governments; and
(6) “Persons,” one or more of the following or their agents, employees, servants, representatives, directors, officers, partners, members, managers, superintendents, and legal representatives: individuals, corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, associations, labor organizations, educational institutions, mutual companies, joint-stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, trustees, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, fiduciaries, and all other entities recognized at law by this State.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 75B. Discrimination in Business § 75B-1. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-75b-discrimination-in-business/nc-gen-st-sect-75b-1.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?