North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 53B. Financial Privacy Act § 53B-5. Service on customer certification
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
A government authority may have access to a customer's financial record pursuant to G.S. 53B-4(11) only if:
(1) The court order or subpoena describes with reasonable specificity the financial record to which access is sought;
(2) A copy of the court order or subpoena has been served on the customer pursuant to G.S. 1A-1, Rule 4(j) of the N.C. Rules of Civil Procedure or by certified mail to the customer's last known address and the court order or subpoena states the name of the government authority seeking access to the financial record and the purpose for which access is sought;
(3) The following notice has been served on the customer pursuant to G.S. 1A-1, Rule 4(j) of the N.C. Rules of Civil Procedure or by certified mail to the customer's last known address together with the court order or subpoena:
“Records or information held by the financial institution named in the attached process are being sought by government authority in accordance with the North Carolina Financial Privacy Act. You may have rights under the act to challenge access to the records or information. You must, however, act within 10 days from the date this notice was served on you to make a challenge in court or the records or information will be made available. You may wish to employ an attorney to represent you and protect your rights.”;
(4) The customer has not challenged the court order or subpoena within 10 days after service by certified mail which is presumed to be received three days from mailing;
(5) The government authority has certified in writing to the financial institution that it has complied with the applicable provisions of this Chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 53B. Financial Privacy Act § 53B-5. Service on customer certification - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-53b-financial-privacy-act/nc-gen-st-sect-53b-5.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?