North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 38A. Landowner Liability § 38A-2. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
The following definitions shall apply throughout this Chapter, unless otherwise specified:
(1) “Charge” means a price or fee asked for services, entertainment, recreation performed, or products offered for sale on land or in return for an invitation or permission to enter upon land, except as otherwise excluded in this Chapter.
(2) “Educational purpose” means any activity undertaken as part of a formal or informal educational program, and viewing historical, natural, archaeological, or scientific sites.
(3) “Land” means real property, land, and water, but does not mean a dwelling and the property immediately adjacent to and surrounding such dwelling that is generally used for activities associated with occupancy of the dwelling as a living space.
(4) “Owner” means any individual or nongovernmental legal entity that has any fee, leasehold interest, or legal possession, and any employee or agent of such individual or nongovernmental legal entity.
(5) “Recreational purpose” means any activity undertaken for recreation, exercise, education, relaxation, refreshment, diversion, or pleasure or sport, including equestrian recreation as defined in G.S. 99E-1.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 38A. Landowner Liability § 38A-2. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-38a-landowner-liability/nc-gen-st-sect-38a-2.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?