North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 33A. North Carolina Uniform Transfers to Minors Act § 33A-1. Definitions
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
In this Chapter:
(1) “Adult” means an individual who has attained the age of 21 years.
(2) “Benefit plan” means an employer's plan for the benefit of an employee or partner.
(3) “Broker” means a person lawfully engaged in the business of effecting transactions in securities or commodities for the person's own account or for the account of others.
(4) “Court” means the clerk of the superior court of the several counties of the State.
(5) “Custodial property” means (i) any interest in property transferred to a custodian under this Chapter and (ii) the income from and proceeds of that interest in property.
(6) “Custodian” means a person so designated under Section 33A-9 or a successor or substitute custodian designated under Section 33A-18.
(7) “Financial institution” means a bank, trust company, savings and loan associations or other savings institutions, or credit union, chartered and supervised under State or federal law.
(8) “Guardian” means a person appointed or qualified by a court to act as general, limited, or temporary guardian of a minor's property or a person legally authorized to perform substantially the same functions.
(9) “Legal representative” means an individual's personal representative or guardian.
(10) “Member of the minor's family” means the minor's parent, spouse, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, or aunt, whether of the whole or half blood or by adoption.
(11) “Minor” means an individual who has not attained the age of 21 years.
(12) “Person” means an individual, corporation, organization, or other legal entity.
(13) “Personal representative” means an executor, administrator, successor personal representative, collector, or special administrator of a decedent's estate or a person legally authorized to perform substantially the same function.
(14) “State” includes any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and any territory or possession subject to the legislative authority of the United States.
(15) “Transfer” means a transaction that creates custodial property under G.S. 33A-9.
(16) “Transferor” means a person who makes a transfer under this Chapter.
(17) “Trust company” means a financial institution, corporation, or other legal entity, authorized to exercise general trust powers.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 33A. North Carolina Uniform Transfers to Minors Act § 33A-1. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-33a-north-carolina-uniform-transfers-to-minors-act/nc-gen-st-sect-33a-1.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?