North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 28B. Estates of Absentees in Military Service § 28B-8. Termination of receivership

(a) At any time upon petition signed by the absentee in military service, or on petition of an attorney-in-fact acting under an adequate power of attorney granted by the absentee in military service, the court shall direct the termination of the receivership and the transfer of all property held thereunder to the absentee in military service or to the designated attorney-in-fact.

(b) If at any time subsequent to the appointment of a receiver it shall appear that the absentee in military service has died and an executor or administrator has been appointed for his estate, the court shall terminate the receivership, certify all proceedings under the receivership to the clerk of superior court, and transfer all property of the deceased absentee in military service held thereunder to such executor or administrator.

(c) When the need for a receivership terminates, the receiver shall promptly file a final inventory and accounting and his application for discharge with the court.  If it appears to the court that the inventory and accounting are correct and that the receiver has made full and complete transfer of the assets of the absentee in military service as directed, the court may approve the inventory and accounting and discharge the receiver.  If objections to the final inventory and accounting are filed, the court shall conduct a hearing under the same conditions for a hearing on objections to the annual accounting and inventory.

(d) Such discharge shall operate as a release from the duties of the receivership and as a bar to any suit against said receiver or his surety, unless such suit is commenced within one year from the date of discharge.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.