North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 143. State Departments, Institutions, and Commissions § 143-214.4. Certain cleaning agents containing phosphorus prohibited
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) No person may manufacture, store, sell, use, or distribute for sale or use any cleaning agent containing phosphorus in the State, except as otherwise provided in this section.
(b) As used in this section, “cleaning agent” means a laundry detergent, dishwashing compound, household cleaner, metal cleaner or polish, industrial cleaner, or other substance that is used or intended for use for cleaning purposes.
(c) This section shall not apply to cleaning agents which are used:
(1) In agricultural or dairy production;
(2) To clean commercial food or beverage processing equipment or containers;
(3) As industrial sanitizers, metal brighteners, or acid cleaners, including those containing phosphoric acid or trisodium phosphate;
(4) In industrial processes for metal, fabric or fiber cleaning and conditioning;
(5) In hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, other health care facilities, or veterinary hospitals or clinics;
(6) By a commercial laundry or textile rental service company or any other commercial entity: (i) to provide laundry service to hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, other health care facilities, or veterinary hospitals or clinics; (ii) to clean textile products supplied to industrial or commercial users of the products on a rental basis; or (iii) to clean professional, industrial or commercial work uniforms;
(7) In the manufacture of health care or veterinary supplies;
(8) In any medical, biological, chemical, engineering or other such laboratory, including those associated with any academic or research facility;
(9) As water softeners, antiscale agents, or corrosion inhibitors, where such use is in a closed system such as a boiler, air conditioner, cooling tower, or hot water heating system;
(10) To clean hard surfaces including windows, sinks, counters, floors, ovens, food preparation surfaces, and plumbing fixtures.
(d) This section shall not apply to cleaning agents which:
(1) Contain phosphorus in an amount not exceeding five-tenths of one percent (0.5%) by weight which is incidental to manufacturing;
(2) Contain phosphorus in an amount not exceeding eight and seven-tenths percent (8.7%) by weight and which are intended for use in a commercial or household dishwashing machine;
(3) Are manufactured, stored, sold, or distributed for use solely outside the State.
(e) The Commission may permit the use of a cleaning agent which contains phosphorus in an amount exceeding five-tenths of one percent (0.5%) but not exceeding eight and seven-tenths percent (8.7%) by weight upon a finding that there is no adequate substitute for such cleaning agent, or that compliance with this section would otherwise be unreasonable or create a significant hardship on the user. The Commission shall adopt rules to administer this subsection.
(f) Any person who manufactures, sells or distributes any cleaning agent in violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor punishable only by a fine not to exceed fifty dollars ($50.00).
(g) Any person who uses any cleaning agent in violation of the provisions of this section shall be responsible for an infraction for which the sanction is a penalty of not more than ten dollars ($10.00). Notwithstanding G.S. 14-3.1(a), the clear proceeds of infractions pursuant to this section shall be remitted to the Civil Penalty and Forfeiture Fund in accordance with G.S. 115C-457.2.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 143. State Departments, Institutions, and Commissions § 143-214.4. Certain cleaning agents containing phosphorus prohibited - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-143-state-departments-institutions-and-commissions/nc-gen-st-sect-143-214-4.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?