North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 142. State Debt § 142-97. Additional provisions with respect to Build NC Bonds
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
The following requirements and limitations apply to the issuance and sale of Build NC Bonds:
(1) Subject to appropriation by the General Assembly, funds from the Highway Trust Fund shall be the source for repayment of special indebtedness resulting from the sale of Build NC Bonds.
(2) The State Treasurer shall not issue any Build NC Bonds unless (i) the State Treasurer recommends the issuance of the Build NC Bonds and (ii) the State Treasurer has made a determination that all of the following requirements have been or shall be met:
a. The Department of Transportation's average month-end cash balance for the first three months in the calendar year prior to the date of determination is equal to or less than one billion dollars ($1,000,000,000).
b. The total amount of Build NC Bonds outstanding after such issuance will not cause the recommended transportation debt target established by the Debt Affordability Advisory Committee in accordance with G.S. 142-101 to be exceeded.
c. At least six months prior to the expected date of the Build NC Bond issuance, the Department of Transportation:
1. Consulted with the State Treasurer about the proposed Build NC Bond issuance.
2. Consulted with the Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee and the Joint Legislative Commission on Governmental Operations to provide details of the proposed issuance, including (i) the total amount of the Build NC Bonds that will be issued, (ii) the estimated amount of the debt service payments, and (iii) the estimated amount of debt capacity that would be remaining after the issuance.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (7) of this section, the total amount of special indebtedness from the issuance of Build NC Bonds shall not exceed three billion dollars ($3,000,000,000).
(4) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (7) of this section, each individual issuance of Build NC Bonds is limited to no more than three hundred million dollars ($300,000,000) in each fiscal year.
(5) The Department of Transportation may not use the proceeds realized from the sale of Build NC Bonds for a nonhighway project or a project utilizing tolling pursuant to the authority set forth in subdivision (39) or (39a) of G.S. 136-18.
(6) For purposes of satisfying the requirements of G.S. 142-15.17, Build NC Projects constitute projects as to which the General Assembly has enacted legislation expressly approving the use of a State-supported financing arrangement.
(7) The restrictions set forth in sub-subdivision a. of subdivision (2) of this section and subdivisions (3) and (4) of this section do not apply to Build NC Bonds that are refunding bonds meeting the requirements set forth in G.S. 142-29.5.
(8) The provisions of G.S. 142-83 do not apply to Build NC Bonds, nor shall Build NC Bonds be counted for the purposes of that section in limiting the issuance of other debt.
(9) The provisions of subsection (e) of G.S. 142-84 do not apply to Build NC Bonds.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 142. State Debt § 142-97. Additional provisions with respect to Build NC Bonds - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-142-state-debt/nc-gen-st-sect-142-97.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?