North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 130A. Public Health § 130A-41. Powers and duties of local health director
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search North Carolina General Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) A local health director shall be the administrative head of the local health department, shall perform public health duties prescribed by and under the supervision of the local board of health and the Department and shall be employed full time in the field of public health.
(b) A local health director shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To administer programs as directed by the local board of health;
(2) To enforce the rules of the local board of health;
(3) To investigate the causes of infectious, communicable and other diseases;
(4) To exercise quarantine authority and isolation authority pursuant to G.S. 130A-145;
(5) To disseminate public health information and to promote the benefits of good health;
(6) To advise local officials concerning public health matters;
(7) To enforce the immunization requirements of Part 2 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(8) To examine and investigate cases of venereal disease pursuant to Parts 3 and 4 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(9) To examine and investigate cases of tuberculosis pursuant to Part 5 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(10) To examine, investigate and control rabies pursuant to Part 6 of Article 6 of this Chapter;
(12) To employ and dismiss employees of the local health department in accordance with Chapter 126 of the General Statutes; [and]
(13) To enter contracts, in accordance with The Local Government Finance Act, G.S. Chapter 159, on behalf of the local health department. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to abrogate the authority of the board of county commissioners.
(c) Authority conferred upon a local health director may be exercised only within the county or counties comprising the local health department.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 130A. Public Health § 130A-41. Powers and duties of local health director - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-130a-public-health/nc-gen-st-sect-130a-41.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?