Skip to main content

Montana Title 70. Property § 70-17-101. Servitudes attached to land

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The following land burdens or servitudes upon land may be attached to other land as incidents or appurtenances and are then called easements:

(1) the right of pasture;

(2) the right of fishing;

(3) the right of taking game;

(4) the right-of-way;

(5) the right of taking water, wood, minerals, and other things;

(6) the right of transacting business upon land;

(7) the right of conducting lawful sports upon land;

(8) the right of receiving air, light, or heat from or over or discharging the same upon or over land;

(9) the right of receiving water from or discharging the same upon land;

(10) the right of flooding land;

(11) the right of having water flow without diminution or disturbance of any kind;

(12) the right of using a wall as a party wall;

(13) the right of receiving more than natural support from adjacent land or things affixed thereto;

(14) the right of having the whole of a division fence maintained by a coterminous owner;

(15) the right of having public conveyances stopped or of stopping the same on land;

(16) the right of a seat in church;

(17) the right of burial;

(18) the right of conserving open space to preserve park, recreational, historic, aesthetic, cultural, and natural values on or related to land;

(19) the right of receiving sunlight or wind for recognized nonfossil forms of energy generation;  and

(20) the right of using land adjacent to a firearms shooting range as a range safety zone.

Cite this article: - Montana Title 70. Property § 70-17-101. Servitudes attached to land - last updated April 27, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard