Montana Title 61. Motor Vehicles § 61-7-109. Written reports of accidents--additional information--form of report

(1) The operator of a motor vehicle that is in any manner involved in an accident within this state in which a person is killed or injured or in which damage to the property of a person in excess of $1,000 is sustained shall, within 10 days after the accident, report the matter in writing to the department unless the accident was investigated and reported by a law enforcement officer as provided in subsection (3).

(2) The department may require the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident of which report must be made as provided in this section to file supplemental reports whenever the original report is insufficient and may require witnesses of accidents to render reports.

(3) A law enforcement officer who in the regular course of duty investigates a motor vehicle accident in which a person is killed or injured or in which damage to the property of a person exceeds $1,000, either at the time of and at the scene of the accident or after the accident by interviewing participants or witnesses, shall within 10 days after completing the investigation forward a written report of the accident to the department.

(4) The form of the accident report required under this section must contain information sufficient to enable the department to determine whether the requirements for the deposit of security for safety responsibility are inapplicable by reason of the existence of insurance or other exemptions specified in chapter 6 of this title.

(5) A report required by subsection (1) or (2) may not be used as evidence in any trial, civil or criminal, arising out of an accident.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.