Montana Title 39. Labor § 39-3-204. Payment of wages generally

(1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3), every employer of labor in the state of Montana shall pay to each employee the wages earned by the employee in lawful money of the United States or checks on banks convertible into cash on demand at the full face value of the checks, and a person for whom labor has been performed may not withhold from any employee any wages earned or unpaid for a longer period than 10 business days after the wages are due and payable, except as provided in 39-3-205 .  However, reasonable deductions may be made for board, room, and other incidentals supplied by the employer, whenever the deductions are a part of the conditions of employment, or as otherwise provided for by law.

(2) Wages may be paid to the employee by electronic funds transfer or similar means of direct deposit if the employee has consented in writing or electronically, if a record is retained, to be paid in this manner.  However, an employee may not be required to use electronic funds transfer or similar means of direct deposit as a method for payment of wages.

(3) If an employee submits a timesheet after the employer's established deadline for processing employee timesheets for a particular time period and the employer does not pay the employee within the 10-day period provided for in subsection (1), the employer may pay the employee the wages due in the ensuing pay period.  An employer may not withhold payment of the employee's wages beyond the next ensuing pay period.  If there is not an established time period or time when wages are due and payable, the pay period is presumed to be semimonthly in length.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.