Montana Title 35. Corporations, Partnerships, and Associations § 35-8-705. Rights of judgment creditor
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Montana Code Annotated
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) On application to a court of competent jurisdiction by any judgment creditor of a member, the court may charge the distributional interest of the member with payment of the unsatisfied amount of judgment, with interest. To the extent charged, the judgment creditor has only the rights of an assignee of the distributional interest. This chapter does not deprive a member of the benefit of any exemption laws applicable to a distributional interest.
(2) The court may appoint a receiver of the share of the distributions due or to become due to a judgment debtor and make all other orders, directions, accounts, and inquiries that the judgment debtor may have made or that the circumstances require to give effect to the charging order.
(3) A charging order constitutes a lien on the judgment debtor's distributional interest. The court may order a foreclosure of a lien on a distributional interest subject to the charging order at any time. A purchaser of the distributional interest at a foreclosure sale has the rights of a transferee.
(4) At any time before foreclosure, a distributional interest that is charged may be redeemed:
(a) by the judgment debtor;
(b) by one or more of the other members with property other than the company's; or
(c) with the company's property if permitted by the operating agreement.
(5) This section provides the exclusive remedy by which a judgment creditor of a member or a transferee may satisfy a judgment out of the judgment debtor's distributional interest in a limited liability company.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 35. Corporations, Partnerships, and Associations § 35-8-705. Rights of judgment creditor - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-35-corporations-partnerships-and-associations/mt-code-ann-sect-35-8-705.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?