Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) A group disability policy or certificate of insurance delivered or issued for delivery in this state may not be issued or amended in this state if it contains any disclaimer, waiver, preexisting condition exclusion, or other limitation of coverage relative to the accident and sickness coverage or insurability of newborn infants of persons covered under the policy from and after the moment of birth.
(2) A policy or certificate subject to this section, must contain a provision granting immediate accident and sickness coverage, from and after the moment of birth, to each newborn infant of any person covered under the policy.
(3) The coverage for newborn infants must be the same as provided by the policy for other covered persons. However, for newborn infants there may not be waiting or elimination periods. A deductible or reduction in benefits applicable to the coverage for newborn infants is not permissible unless it conforms and is consistent with the deductible or reduction in benefits applicable to all other covered persons.
(4) This section does not apply to medicare supplement policies issued by reason of age.
(5) When a group disability policy or certificate issued under the policy provides for coverage or benefits for a resident of this state, the policy or certificate is considered delivered in this state within the meaning of this section regardless of whether the insurer issuing the policy or certificate is located in this state.
(6) The policy or certificate may require notification of the birth of a child and payment of a required premium or subscription fee to be furnished to the insurer or nonprofit or indemnity corporation within 31 days of the birth in order to have the coverage extend beyond 31 days.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 33. Insurance and Insurance Companies § 33-22-504. Newborn infant coverage - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-33-insurance-and-insurance-companies/mt-code-ann-sect-33-22-504.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.