Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) If an unauthorized insurer is domiciled in any state, a surplus lines insurance producer may not place insurance with that unauthorized insurer unless, at the time of placement, the unauthorized insurer:
(a) is authorized to issue the same kind of property or casualty insurance in its domiciliary jurisdiction; and
(b) maintains capital and surplus or its equivalent under the laws of its state of domicile, which equals the greater of:
(ii) $15 million. An insurer possessing less than $15 million capital and surplus may satisfy the requirements of this subsection upon an affirmative finding of acceptability by the commissioner. The commissioner's finding must be based on factors that include:
(A) the quality of management, capital, and surplus of a parent company;
(B) company underwriting profit and investment income trends;
(C) market availability; and
(D) company record and reputation within the industry.
(2) The commissioner may not make an affirmative finding of acceptability when the surplus lines insurer's capital and surplus is less than $4.5 million.
(3) If an unauthorized insurer is an alien insurer, a surplus lines insurance producer may not place insurance with that unauthorized insurer unless, at the time of placement, the unauthorized insurer appears on the national association of insurance commissioners' Non-Admitted Insurers Quarterly Listing.
(4) A list of eligible surplus lines insurers must be published at least semiannually by the commissioner for a range of risks, including disability income insurance. This subsection does not require the commissioner to place or maintain the name of any unauthorized insurer on the list of eligible surplus lines insurers. An action may not lie against the commissioner or an employee of the commissioner for anything said in issuing the list of eligible surplus lines insurers referred to in this subsection.
(5) As used in this section, the following definitions apply:
(a) “Capital”, as used in the financial requirements of this section, means funds invested in for stocks or other evidences of ownership.
(b) “Surplus”, as used in the financial requirements of this section, means funds over and above liabilities and capital of the insurer for the protection of policyholders.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 33. Insurance and Insurance Companies § 33-2-307. Requirements for eligible surplus lines insurers--list of eligible surplus lines insurers - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-33-insurance-and-insurance-companies/mt-code-ann-sect-33-2-307.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?