Montana Title 31. Credit Transactions and Relationships § 31-1-233. Insurance
Search Montana Code Annotated
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) The amount, if any, included for insurance that may be purchased by the holder of the contract may not exceed the applicable premiums chargeable in accordance with the rates filed with the insurance department of this state when the rates are required by law to be approved by the insurance department.
(2) All insurance purchased by the holder of the contract must be written by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state.
(3) A buyer may be required to provide insurance on the goods at the buyer's own cost for the protection of the seller or holder as well as the buyer, but the insurance is limited to insurance against substantial risk of loss, damage, or destruction of the goods.
(4) Any other insurance may be included in a retail installment transaction at the buyer's expense only if contracted for voluntarily by the buyer.
(5) If insurance for which an identified charge is made insures the life, safety, or health of the buyer or the buyer's interest in goods and is purchased by the holder, the holder shall within 30 days after the execution of the retail installment contract send or cause to be sent to the buyer a policy or policies or certificate or certificates of insurance, written by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state, clearly setting forth:
(a) the amount of the premium;
(b) the kind or kinds of insurance;
(c) the coverages; and
(d) if a policy, all the terms, exceptions, limitations, restrictions, and conditions of the contract or contracts of insurance or, if a certificate, a summary of the terms, exceptions, limitations, restrictions, and conditions.
(6) The holder may not decline existing insurance written by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state, and the buyer has the privilege of purchasing insurance from an insurance producer or broker of the buyer's own selection and of selecting the buyer's insurance company if:
(a) the insurance company is acceptable to the holder, which acceptance may not be unreasonably or arbitrarily withheld; and
(b) the inclusion of the cost of the insurance premium in the retail installment contract when the buyer selects the buyer's insurance producer, broker, or company is optional with the holder.
(7) If any insurance is canceled or the premium adjusted, any refund of the insurance premium received by the holder must be credited to the final maturing installment of the contract except to the extent applied toward payment for a similar insurance protecting the interests of the buyer and the holder or either of them.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Montana Title 31. Credit Transactions and Relationships § 31-1-233. Insurance - last updated April 27, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/mt/title-31-credit-transactions-and-relationships/mt-code-ann-sect-31-1-233.html
Was this helpful?