Skip to main content

Montana Title 20. Education § 20-25-501. Definitions

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) Terms used in this part are defined as follows:

(a) “Domicile” means a person's true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation.

(b) “Minor” means a male or female person who has not obtained the age of 18 years.

(c) “Qualified person” means a person legally qualified to determine the person's own domicile.

(d) “Resident student” means:

(i) a student who has been domiciled in Montana for 1 year immediately preceding registration at any unit for any term or session for which resident classification is claimed. Attendance as a full-time student at any college, university, or other institution of higher education is not alone sufficient to qualify for residence in Montana.

(ii) any graduate of a Montana high school who is a citizen or resident alien of the United States and whose parents, parent, or guardian has resided in Montana at least 1 full year of the 2 years immediately preceding the student's graduation from high school. The classification continues for not more than 4 academic years if the student remains in continuous attendance at a unit;  or

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States assigned to and residing in Montana, the member's spouse, or the member's dependent children.

(2) In the event that the definition of residency or any portion of the definition is declared unconstitutional as it is applied to payment of nonresident fees and tuition, the regents of the Montana university system may make rules on what constitutes adequate evidence of residency status not inconsistent with those court decisions.

Cite this article: - Montana Title 20. Education § 20-25-501. Definitions - last updated April 27, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard