Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) For the purposes of this section:
(a)(i) “Alternative nicotine product” means:
1. An electronic cigarette; or
2. Any other product that consists of or contains nicotine that can be ingested into the body by chewing, smoking, absorbing, dissolving, inhaling or by any other means.
(b)(i) “Electronic cigarette” means an electronic product or device that produces a vapor that delivers nicotine or other substances to the person inhaling from the device to simulate smoking, and is likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo or electronic pipe.
(2) No person, either directly or indirectly by an agent or employee, or by a vending machine owned by the person or located in the person's establishment, shall sell, offer for sale, give or furnish any alternative nicotine product, or any cartridge or component of an alternative nicotine product, to an individual under eighteen (18) years of age. A violation of this subsection is punishable as follows:
(a) By a fine of Fifty Dollars ($50.00) for a first offense;
(b) By a fine of Seventy-Five Dollars ($75.00) for a second offense; and
(c) By a fine of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) for a third or subsequent offense.
(3) Before selling, offering for sale, giving or furnishing an alternative nicotine product, or any cartridge or component of an alternative nicotine product to an individual, a person shall verify that the individual is at least eighteen (18) years of age by:
(a) Examining from any individual that appears to be under twenty-seven (27) years of age a government-issued photographic identification that establishes the individual is at least eighteen (18) years of age; or
(b) For sales made through the Internet or other remote sales methods, performing an age verification through an independent, third-party age verification service that compares information available from public records to the personal information entered by the individual during the ordering process that establishes the individual is eighteen (18) years of age or older.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 97. Crimes § 97-32-51. Prohibition of the distribution of alternative nicotine products to minors - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-97-crimes/ms-code-sect-97-32-51.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.