Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) There is hereby created the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, whose principal office shall be located in Jackson, Mississippi.
(2) The department shall be headed by an executive director who shall be appointed by the Governor. The commission shall submit to the Governor three (3) qualified nominees for the position of executive director. The Governor shall appoint the executive director from the list of qualified nominees submitted with the advice and consent of the Senate. The executive director may assign those powers and duties as deemed appropriate to carry out the department's lawful functions. Upon recommendation by the Governor to the commission, the executive director may be removed from office only by both a majority vote of the membership of the commission and the Governor's approval of the removal. To remove the executive director the commission must determine on sound evidence that there is good cause for removal such as willful dereliction in carrying out the duties of executive director, obvious malfeasance in his actions as executive director or conviction of any criminal act. After the determination is made by the commission that the executive director should be removed from office, the commission shall notify the Governor of its determination and the Governor must approve that determination before the executive director is actually removed from office.
(3) The executive director shall appoint heads, who will serve at the pleasure of the executive director.
(4) The executive director shall have the authority to organize the department as deemed appropriate to carry out the responsibilities of the department. The organizational charts of the department shall be presented annually with the budget request of the Governor for review by the Legislature.
(5) The executive director shall develop and implement a merit promotion system for all sworn law enforcement officers. Promotion to higher rank shall be based on an individual's merit and length of service. The executive director shall implement the merit promotion system before July 1, 1995.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 49. Conservation and Ecology § 49-4-6. Creation; organization; executive director - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-49-conservation-and-ecology/ms-code-sect-49-4-6.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.