Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Any municipality operating under a “Code Charter” as provided for in Chapter 3, Title 21, Mississippi Code of 1972, may through the mayor and board of aldermen, establish the position of chief administrative officer of the municipality.
(2) The establishment of the position of chief administrative officer shall be by ordinance, and shall require a two-thirds ( 2/3 ) vote of the mayor and board of aldermen. Any action taken by the governing authorities to establish such office shall not be adopted within ninety (90) days prior to any regular general election for the election of municipal officers. The chief administrative officer shall be a full time employee of the municipality and shall serve at the discretion of the mayor and board of aldermen. He shall receive such compensation as the mayor and board of aldermen may determine, and shall be chosen solely on the basis of experience and administrative qualifications. The chief administrative officer may hold one (1) or more other appointive positions in the municipality. No person elected to the board of aldermen shall be eligible for the office of chief administrative officer during the term for which such person was elected.
(3) The chief administrative officer shall have such administrative duties and functions as shall be delegated to him by the mayor and board of aldermen.
(4) Following the adoption of an ordinance pursuant to this section, the position of chief administrative officer shall not be established until after the next general municipal election, at which time the first chief administrative officer will be appointed.
(5) Members of the board of aldermen shall have no administrative powers or duties which are delegated by ordinance to the chief administrative officer.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Mississippi Code Title 21. Municipalities § 21-3-25. Chief administrative officer permitted - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ms/title-21-municipalities/ms-code-sect-21-3-25.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?